Day 7: Beautifully Imperfect Photography




There's this whole genre out there of photographs that I like to call Beautifully Imperfect Photography.  I loosely (and with a little humor) use the word "genre," but here's what it is to me: People who know how to take and process photos who think it's a waste of time to aim for perfection in the everyday and instead choose to focus on the moments that are meaningful to them and spend less time behind a computer.  

It's not a judgement, it's a complete breath of fresh air. To JUST TAKE PHOTOS, without worrying about all elements being perfect because what matters is being there for the moment, seeing the beauty in the moment, remembering and acknowledging the bits and pieces that add up to a life - basically none of which are perfect.  Raw, off-color, terrible lighting, just-didn't-feel-like-processing: it's anything goes and it makes me incredibly happy. They seem to say, "Hey, yeah, we're a little rough around the edges. But, you know what? It meant extra book-reading time for both kids AND me tonight while I still managed to squeeze in a little blogging that makes my heart happy." It says, "See me? I'm not perfect and I don't think you should have to be either."  

Want to join me over here where the aim isn't perfection, but good enough with a heaping serving of giving-yourself-some-grace-today thrown in for good measure?  No fuss, no striving for perfection that will never happen, certainly no styling before taking a photo: Just being and capturing just as it all is. 


I'm spending 31 days writing and sharing a series about Documenting Your Everyday this month. Click here to see all of the posts as they're added and follow along.  

No comments

Leave some love!