Day 22: When You Don't Feel Like It










 (Photos from the weekend)

I had a different post planned for today, but this one felt more pertinent.  In the past week, I've been taking fewer photos.  I just haven't felt like it.  It's been almost a month now that I've been working on this 31 days project since I started early in order to plan and prepare and I just needed to give myself a break a bit.  

I think it's more than normal to go in and out of phases of wanting to write or pick up a camera or do the documenting that you enjoy most.  Missing a week? Or a month? It's no big deal!  It's your life and if you don't capture every.single.minute, life is going to go on.  I've given up on beating myself up when I just don't want to pick up the camera.  Most likely this blog is going to be much more quiet in November and I can absolutely tell you that I won't be posting daily and, along with that, I'll likely also have many less photographs from the month.  But I have some plans for some photography learning that I've had on the back burner for way too long and plans to try some more intentional/ non-everyday captures like this because I really enjoyed it (it's amazing how different it is to photograph a subject that isn't in constant motion when you're used to kids all of the time!)  Plus, I have have a slew of holiday projects that I actually WANT to do, but I know I'll have to start early if I want to enjoy doing them and not feel like it's an obligation.   

I still wonder what on earth will happen with all of these photos some day, but I know that there are so many that the days I choose to not take photos are a drop in the bucket.  There are times when I make myself pick up a camera anyway and I'm always glad that I did.  I could also count on less than one hand the number of times I've regretted not bringing a camera somewhere and instead just being present with my family or friends.  It all balances out.

So when you don't feel like documenting? Don't.  Or do.  It's your choice, but don't beat yourself up for either choice and don't do it if it just feels like one more chore or obligation in a day.  Taking photos or writing about your life means that it'll be there to look back on and remember long-term, but it doesn't change your experience in the present.

p.s. If you're following along, is there anything you haven't seen yet that you'd really like me to include as the 31 days winds down?  I'd love to make sure I include it for you or at least dedicate some time next month! 



I'm spending 31 days writing and sharing a series about Documenting Your Everyday this month.

 Click here to see all of the posts as they're added and follow along.  

No comments

Leave some love!